Beef Roast Ingredients
- 1 to 1.5 kg beef rib (or any preferred cut)
- 15g coarse sea salt
- 15g coarse ground black pepper
- 30 ml olive oil (or any vegetable oil), for cooking
- 500g Baby Potatoes, skin-on and washed
Yorkshire pudding Ingredients
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 200ml milk
- 200g plain flour
- 10g salt
Beef gravy Ingredients
- 60g unsalted butter (or beef drippings)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 3 to 4 sprigs of thyme
- 480ml beef stock
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C. Season the beef with salt and pepper; sear to brown on all sides and transfer to hot roasting pan. Transfer to oven; roast for 2 to 2.5hrs. Add the baby potatoes into the pan 45mins before the beef is done.
2. Make the Yorkshire pudding batter: Add the eggs in a large bowl, sift the flour, salt, and half the milk; beat until smooth. Mix in remaining milk; let the batter rest.
3. After 2.5hrs, transfer the beef to a warmed plate; let it rest, lightly covered with foil. Reserve the beef dripping for gravy. Raise oven to 200°C. Pour a teaspoon of vegetable oil --into each section of a 12-hole Yorkshire pudding tray (or a muffin tray); put it in the oven on the top shelf until very hot, almost smoking.
4. Meanwhile, whisk pudding batter again. Complete this step as fast as possible. Remove the tray from the oven, ladle in the batter so each cup is three-quarters full; immediately put the tray back in the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the Yorkshire puddings are well risen, golden brown, and crisp. Don't open the oven door until the puddings are cooked.
5. To make the gravy, pour the reserved fats from the roasting pan, place the pan over medium heat, and add the thyme, garlic and onions. Cook 4 to 5 minutes pour in the stock; simmer until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Pass the gravy through a sieve, pressing vegetables to extract flavour. Bring the gravy back to boil; reduce to a gravy consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Carve the beef about 1 inch thick. Serve with the gravy and Yorkshire puddings, along with roast potatoes.
5 lucky SAFRA members can stand a chance to win a $20 Jack's Place voucher by:
- LIKE & SHARE on SAFRA Punggol Foodtastic Travels: England Facebook Post on 7 Sep 21, &
- COMMENT on about where they would like to visit in England!
Contest will close on Wed, 8 Sep 2021, 2359hrs.
b) You are solely responsible for the personal data that you provide or disseminate, notwithstanding that the dissemination is via third party platforms managed by SAFRA, including but not limited to SAFRA Punggol’s Facebook page, and your personal data may also be subject to the personal data policies of such third party platforms.
By participating in all 10 SAFRA Punggol Foodtastic Travel Series episodes at SAFRA Punggol Facebook Page, starting Tue, 15 Jun 21, all valid participations (like, share & comment on the Facebook Posts) by SAFRA members will be eligible to get a chance to enter our grand draw to win a 2 days 1 night staycation (worth up to $500)! The grand draw prize will be revealed at a later time! So stay tuned!
Contest closed on 23 Feb 2022, 2359hrs.
Terms and Conditions:
- This contest is only open to SAFRA Members.
- Winner will be notified by 1 Mar 2022.
- 2D1N Staycation Gift Voucher is not exchangeable for cash or in kind.
- 2D1N Staycation Gift Voucher is to be collected at SAFRA Punggol Concierge.
- The decision of SAFRA on all matters pertaining to the Contest shall be final and binding on all parties. No correspondence or further claims shall be entertained. Please find the full terms and conditions here.